Premier Division – Saturday 3rd August 2019

Premier Division Opening Day – 3rd August 2019

Bearsted 2-2 AFC Croydon Ath

Beckenham Town 2-1 Punjab United

Crowborough Ath 2-3 Corinthian

Deal Town 0-0 Fisher

Erith & Belvedere 1-1 K Sports

Greenwich Borough 1-2 Chatham Town

Hollands & Blair 0-0 Erith Town

Lordswood 3-1 Glebe

Sheppey United 1-2 Tunbridge Wells

Welling Town 0-0 Canterbury City

Lordswood sit pretty at the top after day one thanks to coming from behind to see off Glebe at Martyn Grove. Scott Kinch had opened the scoring early on for the visitors before Marlon Paterson levelled from the spot, Jamie Taylor smashed home a screamer and Luke Medley wrapped up the scoring late on. Corinthian also had to go behind before they eventually led and were looking in big trouble when Kaine Wright and Tom Pearson gave Crowborough Athletic a 2-0 lead in the first 5 minutes of their game. The Hoops battled back though and a Luke Tanner penalty and Jack Mahoney effort levelled the game before last minute penalty drama that saw Dereece Thompson earn Corinthian the win.
The biggest crowd of the day was gathered at Holm Park and saw Tunbridge Wells leave victorious thanks to George Blake’s last minute winner. Josh Biddlecombe had earlier nodded Wells ahead only to see that lead cancelled out by Billy Bennett for Sheppey United late in the game. The 314 were not about to see a draw though as Blake settled the game at the death giving his side a great start to the reign of the new manager. Favourites Chatham Town began with a win but were made to work for it by a young and spirited Greenwich Borough team. Jack Evans smartly put the Chats ahead just after the half hour mark, with George Sheminant doubling that lead mid way through the second half. Borough continued to look for a way back in though and when Jo Jo Ogunbiyi pulled one back a draw was a possibility yet the visitors held on and went away with a vital win.
Scoring 5 second half goals in a friendly this week was good enough for Beckenham Town to put their trust in young forward Steve Townsend in their opening League game at home to Punjab United today and he repaid them by getting the winner to send Punjab away from Eden Park Avenue empty handed. Andy Mott’s early strike had been cancelled out by Tunde Aderonmu before Townsend had got his opportunity to seal the match.
Half of the games finished all-square today with Bearsted and AFC Croydon sharing 4 goals in Otham and Erith & Belvedere marking their return to the Premier Division with a point at home to K Sports. The other 3 matches all finished goalless, which is quite remarkable as we only had 5 shut-outs in 380 games last time and now have 3 in the first 10!