Prime Minister Boris Johnson has today announced a four-part plan to lift the coronavirus lockdown.
Setting out his roadmap for the next few months, Mr Johnson confirmed that outdoor sports can resume from March 29 with the re-opening of outdoor hospitality allowed from April 12.
What will be allowed in England from 8 March
- Under-18 sport can take place at school as part of educational provision, or as part of wraparound care.
- The stay-at-home restriction will continue but will be amended so people can leave home for recreation as well as exercise outdoors – with their own household, support or childcare bubble, or with one person from another household. Social distancing and other safe behaviours should be followed.
From 29 March
- Outdoor sports facilities such as tennis and basketball courts, and outdoor swimming pools, can reopen. Formally organised outdoor sports – for adults and under 18s – can also restart and will not be subject to the gatherings limits.
No earlier than 12 April
- Indoor leisure (including gyms) open for use individually or within household groups.
- Pubs and Restaurants can open outdoors.
- All children will be able to attend any indoor children’s activity, including sport, regardless of circumstance. Parent and child groups of up to 15 people (not counting children aged under five years old) can restart indoors.
No earlier than 17 May
- Adult indoor group sports and exercise classes.
- Pubs and Restaurants can open indoors.
- Sports events indoors will be allowed up to 1,000 people or 50% of a venue’s capacity, whichever is lower, while outdoor events will have a capacity of either 50% or 4,000 people, whichever is lower.
- There will be a special provision for large, outdoor, seated venues where crowds can be safely distributed, allowing up to 10,000 people or 25% of total seated capacity, whichever is lower.
All of the above will still involve social distancing measures but the hope is that around June 21, and no earlier, all legal limits on social contact can be removed.
“Following today’s announcement by the Prime Minister regarding the resumption of outdoor sports, we’re now awaiting guidance from The FA and Government – as has been the case throughout COVID-19. We will update you with this as soon as we receive it. Thank you.”