PSF – Hollands & Blair 1-2 Phoenix Sports

hollands & Blair star meadow

On Tuesday night Hollands & Blair took on Isthmian South East side Phoenix Sports in a pre-season friendly at Star Meadow.

Here is the match report from the Hollands & Blair website.

“Paul Bryon’s Isthmian South East outfit bossed the first-half with their impressive front runners causing the Blair rearguard problems as balls were constantly fed through from midfield and they went in at the break 2-0 up. Alex Gaggin getting both.

However Blair did much better in the second-half, especially after fresh legs were introduced, including youngster Sid Hopkins, just before the hour and they were rewarded when substitute Luke Harvey, who could have bagged a hat-trick, pulled one back with five minutes remaining.

Louis Valencia dragged an early strike wide but it was the visitors who went in front on nine minutes when the right-winger was played in and he slotted past the advancing Adam Highsted.

Jack Simon shot wide and Danny Kedwell headed weakly at the keeper but most of the action was at the other end.

Phoenix hit the woodwork twice and went close on another couple of occassions before doubling their lead in the 39th minute when a low strike from the right was unfortunately diverted past Highsted by the outstretched boot of Joe Kane.

Blair’s best chance of the opening 45 minutes came just before the interval. Simon sent over a left-wing corner, Sam Welch came in on the blind side and struck the bar with a shot and Kedwell’s follow-up was blocked.

Early in the second-half skipper Callum McGeehan headed a Simon free-kick at the keeper before Si Halsey, who had a number of players unavailable, intoduced four substitutes, Harley Gorse, Harry Kingdon, Sam Prescott and the aforementioned Hopkins, with 58 minutes on the clock.

Blair gradually started to find a regular route to the Phoenix goal as Matt Gething, Hopkins and Kingdon were all denied by the keeper.

Gething made way for assistant manager Harvey on 68 minutes and the experienced striker’s first touch saw a shot clatter against the outside of the post following some good work by Cameron Heffernan.

Harvey then just failed to get a decent finish to a Kingdon cross but did manage to pull one back in the 85th minute, he chased a through ball and won a challenge with the keeper before stroking the ball into the empty net.

The home side pressed for an equaliser, McGeehan saw an effort saved, Welch saw a shot deflect wide off a team-mate and Harvey was off target with another strike.”

Final Score Hollands & Blair 1-2 Phoenix Sports