FA Cup Replay – Pagham 0-2 Tunbridge Wells

FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round Replay

Tuesday 13th August

Pagham 0-2 Tunbridge Wells

Two second half Jason Thompson goals were enough to see Tunbridge Wells take their place in the next round of the FA Cup.

Wells will now visit Haywards Heath Town in the next round.

Pagham Reporter Match Summary

It was a completely one-sided affair from start to finish but unfortunately for the home team, it was the visitors on top throughout. They quite simply swamped their hosts with attacking power right from the off.

The truth of the matter was that without the heroics of goalkeeper Lewis Boughton the score would have been at least double. He made one top-class save after another as the Wells huffed and puffed their way through the first half desperately trying to open their account.

Two saves in particular were straight out of the top drawer and some of the melees in the Pagham box were almost comical to watch as the home side threw everything at the ball in order to keep it out. But keep it out they did and both sides left the pitch frustrated as the half-time whistle blew.

The second half started in the same way, with one major difference – Tunbridge scored in the 48th minute. A cross from the right wing was firmly headed home by Jason Thompson.

A fightback from the Lions just didn’t materialise, partially due to main strike-threat Hayden Hunter failing to re-appear after the break, being replaced by Tom Lyne. Following yet another wonder-save by Boughton, Wells went two up in the 62nd minute with a penalty awarded by the referee after a bit of a scuffle in the box which led to Boughton seeing a yellow card and Thompson thrashing the ball home for 2-0.

The rest of the game followed the same pattern, despite Pagham making two more substitutions with Mozzie Albar and George Britton replacing Scott Rafferty and Joe Clarke. The Lions played a few nice moves, resulting in a couple of corners, but didn’t in all honesty look like scoring and the game finished with a jubilant Tunbridge team celebrating as the home side could only watch and applaud.

Saturday 10th August
Tunbridge Wells 1-1 Pagham

0-1 – George Cody – 47mins
1-1 – George Blake – 76mins

Pagham Match Report

After a scoreless first half, the Lions took the lead just after the break only for their opponents to equalise with a freak goal 15 minutes from the end.

The first half started with both sides playing end to end football, before the Wells started to get on top. Pagham had their moments though, skipper Jack Barnes smashing a half-chance just over the bar and Jake Heryet squirting a shot just wide of the post, before Barnes once again came close with a 40 yard lob, with the blustery wind behind him, that keeper Taylor caught on the line.

Disaster almost struck the Lions as the first half went into added on time, when the referee awarded a controversial penalty to Tunbridge after a Wells forward tumbled over a leg well inside the area. The problem was averted though as Jake Beecroft belted the ball high over the bar, meaning the score at the break remained 0-0.

The second half started with Pagham having their best spell of the game. After George Cody had driven a shot wide, he made up for it in the 48th minute by slotting the ball under Taylor for a 1-0 lead, after an excellent run and cross from Hayden Hunter.

Hunter, who signed during the week, was making his debut a year after he had originally signed for the Lions – he missed the whole of last season through injuries. He had replaced Cian Tilley at the break after the latter suffered a dead-leg.

Just after the hour mark, Cody had a good looking cross intercepted after a sparkling run down the left-wing as Pagham kept the home defence occupied.

Scott Rafferty was replaced by Mozzie Albar soon after but on 75 minutes Pagham’s afternoon took a turn for the worst when Tunbridge equalised with a fluke goal as a shot from George Blake banged into a Lions defender and flew into the opposite corner.

Scott Slaughter came on for a tiring Jack Barnes but it was more or less the home team all the way following that, hitting the bar after 78 minutes and bringing a superb save out of Lions goalie Lewis Boughton a minute before the end, pushing a fierce shot up and over the bar. Pagham then played the added time out comfortably enough to earn a replay on Tuesday evening back at Nyetimber Lane.