FA Cup Replay – Erith & Belvedere win through on penalties

FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round Replay

Peacehaven & Telscombe 1-1 Erith & Belvedere ( E&B win on pens)

Erith & Belvedere came through a tense penalty shoot out to win through and book a tie with Chertsey Town in the next round. This second game followed the first in pattern with Arthur Feudjio equalising in the second half for the Deres. The game stayed level through extra-time to the penalty shoot out with Dan Teeley saving the first Peacehaven spot kick and Erith & Belvedere then scoring all of theirs to claim the deserved win.

Match Report from the Peacehaven website

GOALKEEPER Alieu Secka was outstanding as Peacehaven stood toe to toe with Erith & Belvedere for the second time in 48 hours.
This pulsating FA Cup replay had drama, skill, endeavour, heroics, commitment, a controversial sending off and heartache as Peacehaven were finally and narrowly squeezed out when they lost the penalty shootout.

They had to complete extra time and the last ten minutes of normal time with ten men after Curt Ford was given a straight red card for an offence the player had no idea of what the offence was or what he was supposed to have committed.

The man you have to feel sorry for is Haven striker Charlie Lambert. On Sunday Lambert tormented the Erith defence until he was injured just before half time and had to come off. In Tuesday night’s game he started on the bench and came on in the 62nd minute in place of Sunday’s scorer Mikey Lloyd.

Lambert covered every blade of grass, and if there is ever a player who has quickly bought into the Peacehaven work and commitment ethic, it is Charlie Lambert.

And when the time came for volunteers to take spot kicks, it was Lambert who put himself on the line to take the first kick. His kick was well saved and Lambert was distraught. He will get over the disappointment in the knowledge that not one Haven fan will blame him, these things just happen.

Without exception every Peacehaven player performed over and above against a well organised and dangerous team. At the back we are now seeing the best of David Amarteifio. He was outstanding in both games and seems to relish playing as one of the middle three in the back five. Unfortunately for him, he had to go off in the 69th minute as it looked like he had pulled a hamstring.

Up front Josh Marshall was brilliant. He took his tenth minute goal with style and confidence when he was put in behind the Erith defence and slid the ball under the oncoming Dan Teeley in the visitors’ goal to give Haven the lead.

The game swung from end to end and when called upon as he often was, Secka kept Peacehaven in the game with a string of superb saves and confident takes. This season the young stopper looks even more confident and his distribution and decision making have also improved since last term.

With Peacehaven’s early lead looking more tenuous by the minute, it came as no surprise when Erith equalised with a well worked goal through Arthur Feudjiro.

In the 80th minute life became even more difficult for Peacehaven when Curt Ford was shown a straight red card for an offence that truly mystified the Haven striker.

Peacehaven then had to play what would be the next 40 minutes with just ten men. Every Haven player stepped up and the casual observer would have struggled to realise that Peacehaven were down to ten men.

Extra time saw Haven put under immense pressure as they defended as if their lives depended on it, but when Peacehaven broke they looked dangerous with Lambert going close.

In the 108th minute after a terrific goal mouth scramble Erith thought they had won it when they hit the bar. Several of their players dropped to their knees in desperation and frustration, but Peacehaven saw this as an opportunity to launch a quick counter attack.

And then it was the dreaded penalties. A cruel, but efficient way to end a heart-stopping game of football.

A special mention should be made to the youngsters who turned up to support Peacehaven. The official attendance was 210 of which 100 were under 18. A magnificent turnout from the young people of the two towns. With support like that, the club’s future looks in safe hands.

Final score: Peacehaven & Telscombe 1, Erith & Belvedere 1 (AET). Erith & Belvedere go through 5-3 on penalties.

Attendance: 210.

Saturdays Peacehaven Match Report from Erith & Belvedere 1-1 Peacehaven & Telscombe

In a game of contrasting styles, Peacehaven took the lead on 55 minutes when substitute Mike Waller went on a brilliant run down the left and crossed for Mikey Lloyd (pictured) to smash the ball home from ten yards. Peacehaven held their lead for just ten minutes before the home side drew level when Feudjiro gave Secka in the home goal no chance from 20 yards after good build up play.

Peacehaven had Secka to thank with just two minutes played as the big stopper got down well to his right, to the relief of the 30 – 40 travelling Peacehaven fans, to keep out the home side.

With the visitors playing down the slope in the first period, for the first ten minutes they had to weather the Dere’s storm as the home side went looking for the early goal. But Peacehaven quickly got into their stride playing their pass and move football and began to take the game to the home side.

Haven striker Charlie Lambert began asking questions of the Erith backline and the constant interchanging of Lambert, Ford and Lloyd was causing the home side some problems as Peacehaven looked sharp and incisive on the counter attack.

With 24 minutes played Erith had their best chance of the game, but fired over from ten yards. A minute later Lambert tried a delightful curling shot with the outside of his right boot, but the home ‘keeper Teeley saved.

Peacehaven where now beginning to slowly build the pressure and on 36 minutes Lloyd flashed the ball across the box but it was put wide.

With 40 minutes played it looked for all the world that Jake Le Grange had been pushed in the box, but the referee waived away Haven’s appeal.

Again Mikey Lloyd was at the heart of the action when after a good run he found Jake Brocklebank but his shot went over the bar.

Half time: Erith & Belvedere 0, Peacehaven & Telscombe 0.

Peacehaven flew out of the blocks in the second half and with only two minutes of the second period played Matt Cheeseman shot, the ‘keeper pushed the ball onto the bar and Bradley Bant headed the rebound wide. Haven looked like they had stepped up a gear.

After Lloyd’s 55th minute goal, Erith seemed to wake up and Secka claimed a dangerous cross well as The Deres pressed.

At the heart of the defence Brandon Kilula and Reilly Grant were both outstanding supported by great performances from David Amarteofio, Jake Le Grange and Bradley Bant. Kilula saved his team on the hour after Haven lost possession on the edge of their box after a mix up from a short kick-out, when he cleared off the line.

One minute later good work from Waller saw his cross just miss the head of Curt Ford, captain for the day as he celebrated his 100th game for the club.

And then with just 15 minutes left to play, Erith were level. Now the home side had the bit between their teeth as they pressed for a winner. Erith’s manager Owen Jones could be heard encouraging his players and shouting: “I don’t want to go to Brighton on Tuesday night for a replay.”

As Erith pressed, Secka made another outstanding save to keep Peacehaven in the game but it was Peacehaven who ended the game in the ascendancy with a couple of dangerous Brocklebank free kicks which came to nothing.

Full time: Erith & Belvedere 1, Peacehaven & Telscombe 1.

Attendance: 133.

Main Photo Credit: Keith Gillard